Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar is one of the most well known Roman emperors of all time. He started out in an upperclass, but undistinguished, family, that provided him with a great education from a tutor. He managed to make a name for himself in politics. In Rome during the time he was alive (100 BCE to 44 BCE), in order to be sucessful politically you had to have military fame and lots of money. Julius Caesar had just that. Caesar became a soldier becasue he was the son of a Senator. In 80 BCE, Julis Caesar was honored with the corona civica (oak wreath) for his bravery in taking a Greek city, Mytilene. As well as this, he was elected one of the 24 military tribunes in 73 BCE.

As a person, Caesar was known for his generosity and extravagent lifestyle. He had plenty of money, and would not hesitate to use it to bribe Roman voters or officials. Julius Caesar managed to be elected dictator of the Roman Empire in 49 BCE. In 45 BCE, he then made himself dictator for life. Not only this, he expanded the empire quite a bit. This, however, is only one of the things he is well known for. If you’ve heard of Julius Caesar, most likely you know how he died. In 44 BCE he was assassinated by a group of people, some of which he believed were his friends. Needless to say he was no longer in charge after that.

I created a movie poster/advertisement based around this person, Julius Caesar. It includes a title, (obviously very real) movie reviews, and a “photo” (a picture of a statue edited to look like him more or less) of Julius Caesar. The poster itself is fairly simple, and most of the hours spent on it were used to make the picture look as realistic as possible. The eyes did end up being too difficult to change for someone who has never used Photoshop before now. The reviews mention what he was known for as well as hint at a “surprise” ending. Spoiler; he gets assassinated.

Works Cited

“Gaius Julius Caesar.” Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Biography In
Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631001079/BIC?u=sant55114&sid=BIC&xid=f3009fab.
Accessed 17 May 2018.

“Gaius Julius Caesar.” World Eras, edited by John T. Kirby, vol. 3: Roman
Republic and Empire, 264 B.C.E.- 476 C.E. Gale, 2001. Biography In Context,
http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1646300027/BIC?u=sant55114&sid=BIC&xid=663654b7. Accessed 18 May 2018.

“Julius Caesar.” Historic World Leaders, edited by Anne Commire, Gale, 1994.
Biography In Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1616000116/BIC?u=sant55114&sid=BIC&xid=9b409e9e.
Accessed 23 May 2018.

Stern, Menahem. “Julius Caesar.” Encyclopaedia Judaica, edited by Michael
Berenbaum and Fred Skolnik, 2nd ed., Macmillan Reference USA, 2007.
Biography In Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2587510485/BIC? u=sant55114&sid=BIC&xid=8ecd01f8. Accessed 22 May 2018.

9 thoughts on “Julius Caesar

• May 31, 2018 at 4:36 pm
    Permalink

Amazing job on the movie poster! I really liked the “totally real” movie reviewers. I think this would be the perfect poster for William Shakespeare’s play on Caesar’s assassination. Do you know any other Romans who have received the corona civica?

• June 1, 2018 at 8:13 pm
      Permalink

I believe at least Augustus also wore the corona civica in recognition that he had saved this country from a civil war, though I’m not sure who else had recieved this honor, but it was proposed that Cicero recieve it at one point.

• May 31, 2018 at 9:10 pm
    Permalink

First off, great job on your final project/blog I think you did a really great job! Furthermore, I had no Idea that Julius Ceaser bribed politicians with his money! I also don’t know if you know this, but Julius Ceaser’s first name was Gaius! Also, did you draw the head on the poster or did you print it, it looks really good! I can tell that you did a lot of research and you had an awesome project.

• June 1, 2018 at 8:15 pm
      Permalink

I actually used Photoshop to overlay multiple images onto one of a statue, and hid the parts I didn’t want to be shown (No green skin, thank you very much).

• May 31, 2018 at 9:30 pm
    Permalink

That was really interesting! I didn’t know too much about Julius Ceaser, so I enjoyed reading and learning about him! I’m really surprised that his first name was Gaius!

• June 1, 2018 at 5:30 pm
    Permalink

I really liked the movie poster. I did not know that he was assassinated by his friends. I was wondering if he had any children.

• June 1, 2018 at 5:31 pm
    Permalink

I really liked this post and I think you did a good job summarizing important moments in his life! I never knew that he was honored with an oak wreath. The poster is really creative, how did you make it?

• June 1, 2018 at 8:22 pm
      Permalink

I used Photoshop to lay different photos of textures over the picture of Julius Caesar’s statue. His skin, the berries on his crown, and the leaves themselves are all separate images put over one another and set to the blend mode “multiply.” Photoshop lets you mask parts of images so I could basically just draw over the parts I didn’t want shown (For example, I didn’t want to give him green skin, for obvious reasons.) The “movie reviews” are just text over an image of paper that I got rid of the background on, and the background in another image of the sky along with drawn over corners. Finally, the text was just made in Paint 3D, a default program on my laptop that lets you draw in both 3D and 2D.

• June 1, 2018 at 8:04 pm
    Permalink

Hi Jazlyn,

I really liked how you explained Julius Ceaser’s life as a progression. Did you know that he was kidnapped by pirates when he training to be an orator, then was ransomed off and came back and killed all of them? Also, I was wondering if you knew how old he was when he died?

Skip to toolbar